Station Casinos My Generation
Recipe of the Month
1 3/4 lbs Peeled Russet Potatoes
8 tbs Unsalted Butter
1/4 cup Milk
1 Medium Finely Chopped Yellow Onion
2 Whole Peeled and Diced Carrots
2 Stalks Diced Celery
To Taste Kosher Salt
1 1/2 lbs Ground Beef
1/2 Cup Beef Broth
2 tbs Tomato Paste
2 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup Frozen Peas
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of cold salted water, bring to the boil over medium-high heat and boil until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain in a colander, return the potatoes to the saucepan, add 4 tablespoons of the butter and the milk, and mash with a potato masher until smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt. Cover to keep warm until ready to use.
2. To make the filling, in a large frying pan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and a big pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring, until browned. Pour off any fat, then add the broth, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the peas.
4. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a shallow baking dish. Add the beef mixture in an even layer and then top with the mashed potatoes in an even layer. Use a fork to “ruffle” the top. Dot with the remaining butter.
5. Bake until the filling is an internal temp of 165 and the top is golden, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.